In 1977 plastic shopping bags were introduced into the supermarkets and our dependency on them began.
After forty or so years Is our love affair with plastic finally coming to an end? Should we just make the break ourselves before the ban is implemented and replace our regular plastic bags for reusable shopping bags? Here are some scary facts that might help your decision…
- 5 trillion plastic bags are produced annually, worldwide.
- 160,000 plastic bags are used globally every SECOND.
- Only 1-3% of plastic bags are recycled world wide.
- Plastic bags and other plastic garbage that makes its way into our oceans kill as many as 1 million sea creatures every year.
- Plastic bags are produced using petroleum, natural gas and other chemicals. The production is harmful to our environment
- Plastic only begins to degrade AFTER 700 years and even then it takes up to 1000 years to fully degrade. This means that ALL THE PLASTIC EVER MADE HAS NOT DEGRADED YET.
Plastic as a packaging option is cheap and it is everywhere. Our cheese is wrapped in plastic, our bread is in plastic bags, our milk and waters containers are plastic and even some of our fresh produce is wrapped in it. And these are just a few examples. At the end of the day, we should be eliminating plastic altogether. It is harmful to us in the form of endocrine-disrupters, It kills our animals and it leaches toxic chemicals into the soil as it slowly breaks down. it has taken us many years to build up our reliance on plastic and it will take time to alter our mindset and actions. However, every little change can make a difference. Just making the decision to use reusable shopping bags is a start and with the wonderful ranges available it’s an easy change to make.
Follow along on our adventures at Instagram